The purposes of the Department of Theatre and Dance are to:
- Prepare students who wish to become teachers
- Train students to pursue theatre or dance as a vocation, or as a hobby
- Teach skills for graduate training or vocations in related fields
- Provide leadership and collaborative ensemble training
- Create opportunities for exposure to theatre and dance productions
- Encourage an appreciation of theatre and dance as art forms
- Offer high quality theatre and dance experiences
Hundreds of students have degrees from our program and have successful careers in theatre, dance, and many other fields. You can see where they are in our ASU Playbill. Or, explore a few careers here!
What can one "do" with a degree in theatre? Click here for 25 skills you'll gain with a theatre degree.
If you have additional questions, please ask a student or request information.
Campus & Theatre Tours
- Contact the Visitors Center at (828) 262-2179 to schedule your campus tour.
Theatre & Dance Tours
- Theatre & Dance tour times during the academic year and summer are: Mon. through Fri. by appointment. Contact the Theatre & Dance office at (828) 262-3028 to schedule your tour.
Ways for Students to GET INVOLVED:
- Join TADA, our departmental e-newsletter!
- Attend Fall Open House during the first week of school.
- Join a student organization!
- Meet the faculty and staff
- Employment opportunities in the department. Read more.
- Submit a play to be considered for our season! Download Play Submission Form [DOC].
Be sure to watch your email for notification from the Dean's office regarding your graduation audit.
General Theatre majors, remember to sign up for your Junior Year Interview. Theatre Ed majors consider taking THR 3520.
You can declare your major after earning 30 semester hours which must include ENG 1000. You must also have an overall GPA of 2.0 and have earned credit for or currently be taking UCO 1200* (*waived for transfers with 30+ earned hours.)
Major Declaration is an online process accessed via Academic Advising.
Look for the link Major Declaration link on the left side of the page.
Please make an appointment with the department chair to evaluate your transfer credit and to map out a schedule for graduation.
Come see us! We would love to go through a degree checksheet as you consider declaring a theatre or dance major. Please note that you can only declare your major after earning 30 semester hours which must include ENG 1000. You must also have an overall GPA of 2.0 and have earned credit for or currently be taking UCO 1200* (*waived for transfers with 30+ earned hours.)
Students planning to major in Theatre should avoid THR 2010 Analyzing Style and Form: Theatre. This course is a survey that is part of the "Analyzing Style and Form" theme in the General Education curriculum. Majors should enroll in THR 2005 Page and Stage, which is part of the "How We Tell Stories" theme.
ASU Box 32123
Boone, NC 28608
480 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608
Chapell Wilson Hall